Black Bean and Sweet Potato BurritosYIELD: MAKES ABOUT 6 BURRITOS
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed small
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 1 small red onion, diced small
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drain
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (from about 1 lime)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 burrito-size tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potatoes, red pepper and red onion with the olive oil, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Place the coated veggies onto a large baking sheet and roast for 18-20 minutes, stirring after about 10 minutes. You want the veggies tender but not mushy. Let the vegetable mixture cool.
- Put vegetables in a large bowl and gently mix with the black beans, cilantro and lime juice. Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Place 3-4 tortillas on a microwave-safe plat and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 15-20 seconds until the tortillas are pliable. Place 1/4 cup or so of the vegetable mixture in the center of the tortilla and top with a sprinkle with shredded cheese, a little of each kind. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and roll up. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas until you have all the burritos you need (the filling can be refrigerated and used for 3-4 days).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for about 10-15 minutes, until heated through and the top of the tortilla is golden brown. For a softer tortilla, wrap each burrito in tin foil and heat through. Serve immediately.