- 1 to 2 tsp. saffron threads* or Spanish paprika
- 7 to 8 cups vegetable broth (two 32-oz. boxes)
- 2 cups arborio brown rice or short-grain brown rice
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 small acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 5 to 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- Fresh thyme leaves
1. In small saucepan combine saffron and 1 cup water; bring to boiling. Remove from heat. In large saucepan bring broth to
boiling; reduce heat. Cover and keep warm.
2. In 12-inch skillet combine saffron mixture and rice; bring to boiling over high heat. Simmer, stirring frequently, until most liquid is absorbed. Add carrot, sweet pepper, turnip, squash, and 1 cup broth; bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Simmer and stir until most liquid is absorbed. Continue adding broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed and rice is just tender (about 20 minutes, adding 5 cups broth total).
3. Add green onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and 1 cup broth. Cook and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining 1 to 2 cups broth. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender and rice is tender yet slightly firm in the center (about 10 minutes, adding 2 to 3 cups broth total.)
4. Remove from heat; stir in 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. To serve, drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with thyme. Makes 8 servings.