This colorful fruit salad gets its punch from the great balance of tart fruits, lime juice, and bite-size pieces of sweet pound cake.
- FRUIT SALAD
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 3 to 4 navel oranges)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- 1 banana
- 1 peach
- 1 nectarine
- 3/4 cup melon (such as honeydew or cantaloupe)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 3/4 cup seedless red or green grapes, cut in half
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/3 cup blueberries or pitted cherries
- HONEY-LIME DRESSING
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice (from about 1 lime)
- POUND CAKE CROUTONS (For a more wholesome cake, substitute this recipe.)
To make the Fruit Salad: Place the orange zest, orange juice, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
Cut the apple, pear, banana, peach, nectarine, and melon into cubes, adding the fruits to the bowl as you cut them to prevent discoloration.
Add the remaining fruits. Stir, coating the fruits with the juices, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Mix thoroughly before serving.
To make the Honey-lime Dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey and lime juice until smooth.
To make the Pound Cake Croutons: Heat the oven to 350º. With a long, sharp knife, slice the pound cake into cubes.
Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, turning twice, until golden.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the mint, if using, then add the toasted pound cake.
Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.
Spoon the salad into serving bowls, drizzle it with the Honey-lime Dressing, and then top with Pound Cake Croutons. Makes about 6 cups.