- 1-1/2 cups rice or nut milk
- 3/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups (or less) natural sweetener (date sugar, maple sugar, etc.)
- 2 eggs (or egg replacement)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups Spelt or whole-wheat flour
- 2 Gala apples, cored and cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 Recipe Fruit Topper, recipe below
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 8x8x2-inch baking pans with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pans; set aside.
2. In mixing bowl whisk buttermilk, oil, brown sugar, eggs, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and vanilla until combined. Whisk in flour; stir in apple. Divide evenly between prepared pans.
3. Bake 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cake layers from pans onto racks; remove parchment paper. Cool completely on racks.
4. Prepare Fruit Topper. Place one cake layer, flat side up, on serving platter. Spoon on about two-thirds of topper. Top with second cake layer and remaining mixture. Serve immediately. Makes 10 servings.
Fruit Topper: In skillet melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter over medium heat. Add 4 small apples or firm pears, cored and cut in slices and/or wedges; add 1/4 cup natural sweetener. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until fruit begins to soften, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.