- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 14-oz. can vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 cups quartered or sliced stemmed shiitake, cremini, or button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 medium red or green sweet pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (1/4 cup) (optional)
1. In saucepan cook onion in hot oil 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth, apple juice, and wild rice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
2. Stir in mushrooms and bulgur. Cook, covered, 10 to 15 minutes more or until grains are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in sweet pepper; remove from heat. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and walnuts. Season to taste with cracked black pepper. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Makes 3 (3/4-cup) servings.