Friday, January 7, 2011

Corn-Free, Egg-Free and Soy-Free Mayonnaise

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but thought I would post if for those of you looking for a good mayo substitute. I'll let you know how I like it when I try it.

Recipe adapted from the cookbook Cooking Free by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.

Makes about 1/2 cup of mayo.

1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or use Canola or Sunflower Oil for a whiter mayo)

1/4 cup Water

1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed

1/2 tsp. White Wine Vinegar (feel free to experiment with different corn-free vinegars)

2 tsp. White Rice Flour (I'll use brown rice flour)

1 tsp. Arrowroot

3/4 tsp. Guar Gum (if corn is not an issue, you can use 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum instead)

1/2 tsp. Agave Nectar (I'll use maple syrup or honey)

1/4 tsp. Dry Mustard

1/2 tsp. Sea Salt (iodized salt contains corn in the form of dextrose)

  1. Throw everything into a blender and blend until mixture emulsifies and thickens.
  2. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/2011/01/corn-free-egg-free-and-soy-free-mayonnaise-with-a-giveaway/

3 comments:

  1. My son is allergic to gluten and corn and I've found so much conflicting advice on whether or not xanthan gum and maltodextrin derived from corn should be avoided. His naturopath says maltodextrin contains no recognizable traces of corn so it isn't a problem, but then I've read other places that it is a problem. I am assuming by this post that you avoid it. Do you have any advice on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't use xanthan gum and avoid maltodextrin whenever possible. I'm not sure how much corn they contain, but if they are made with corn it seems highly likely (to me, anyway) that they would contain "recognizable traces" of corn.

    I would like to do some gluten-free baking, but have yet to find a corn-free substitute for xanthan gum. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any suggestions. I've been using xanthan gum and guar gum but now I'm thinking I shouldn't be giving it to my son. I saw this blog post the other day about the fact that it is possible to bake GF without the gums...I want to try it! http://glutenfreegirl.com/gluten-free-whole-grain-muffins/

    ReplyDelete