This spicy blend of black beans and crisp vegetables is simply rolled in tortillas, then sliced to create pinwheels.
Makes 8 dinner servings, 20-24 appetizersBean Mixture
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 to 4 Tbs. prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves and tender stems
- Salt to taste
- 4 9- to-10-inch spinach tortillas
- 1 1/3 cups packed finely shredded red cabbage
- 4 thin carrot sticks, about 8 inches long and 1/2-inch wide
- 4 strips red bell pepper, about 1/4-inch wide
- 8 slices ripe, firm Hass avocado, sprinkled with juice of 1/2 lime
- To make Bean Mixture: In food processor, blend beans, 3 tablespoons salsa and cilantro into thick paste. Add more salsa, if needed for spreadable mixture. Add salt.
- To make Vegetable Spirals: Using spatula, spread 3 tablespoons bean mixture on a tortilla, leaving about 1/2 inch around edges. Sprinkle on 1/4 of cabbage, and gently press in. Place a carrot stick horizontally about 1 inch from bottom of tortilla, and place 1 strip red bell pepper above it. Arrange 2 slices avocado, end to end, on top of carrot.
- Wrap bottom edge of tortilla over vegetables, and roll tightly. Moisten top edge lightly with bean paste or water to seal. Gently press roll to shape it into log. Fill and roll remaining tortillas.
- To serve, set each roll seam side down on cutting board. Use sharp knife to trim off edges. Hold roll firmly, and use gentle sawing motion to cut into 5 or 6 pieces, making every other slice on the diagonal. Divide among 8 salad plates, or arrange on party platter, diagonal sides up.