The “cheese” sauce is thickened with rice flour, making it both vegan and gluten free. This recipe was a winner in our 2008 Restaurant Poll, and is a popular entrée at the kid-friendly Vita Café in Portland, Oregon.
- 2 1/2 cups plain soymilk (I used rice milk.)
- 2 1/2 Tbs. white rice flour (I used spelt flour.)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. large flake nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. granulated garlic (I used 1 tsp.)
- 1 Tbs. granulated onion (I used 1 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. nonhydrogenated, non-dairy vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1 8-oz. pkg. whole-wheat rotelli (corkscrew) pasta
- steamed broccoli
- Whisk together soymilk, rice flour, yeast, soy sauce, granulated garlic, and granulated onion in saucepan. Simmer 4 minutes, or until thickened, whisking constantly. Whisk in margarine and mustard, and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and toss with sauce. Add steamed broccoli.